Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Project Updates and . . .

The scrappy blocks that I started making last week turned into a total of nine. 


Here they are as the center of my new quilt. I had quite a stash of 1-1/2" x 3" bricks and 1-1/2" squares so it all went together quickly. 


My evening project is quilting the Flags of the American Revolution quilt and it's moving right along. I've actually started quilting the outer border :) I'm hoping to have it done by the end of June so I can start quilting Morris hexies for next year's guild show.



On some of the flags I experimented with straight line quilting using Pearl cotton and a larger needle. I had big stitch quilting in mind but my stitches aren't quite big enough, lol. Even so, the quilting goes a lot faster and I can complete one flag in two nights. 


Have you visited Ann Hermes' blog Notes From the Quilt Lab? You should!  Check out her ingenious method for hanging little quilts. I just so happened to have two vintage wooden rulers and was anxious to give it a try. It's so e-a-s-y! The little quilt is sandwiched in between two rulers that are held together with binder clips which become the hangers. Ann has lots of examples so make sure you stop by! FYI, that was my first sewing machine. It was a gift from my parents for my 13th birthday :)   

More wildflowers . . . 


These Stars of Bethlehem are everywhere! So pretty to look at.


I spotted this Jack-in-the-Pulpit near the Mayapple patch. 


Yesterday we ate lunch at the famous Summit Diner in downtown Summit, NJ. It was built in 1938 and is the oldest operating diner in NJ. My favorite diner food is a cheese omelet with homefries and rye toast :) 

Hope you have a great week!




__________
Copyright 2017, Barbara Schaffer


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to Ann's blog. Wonderful hanging ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, but since the diner was the last thing I read, I am now hungry! I love those scrappy squares and cannot wait to see what comes next. Have to laugh at the big stitch comment. I have tried to do it but can't seem to get my stitches big enough either. Love the quilting around the eagle. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Flags quilt is looking amazing! I love the first scrappy one too- what a way to use some pretty fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is for the 4th of July ? Nice little quilt Barbara !
    Thank you for the link to Ann's blog ! I'm going to read it ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts are always fun and so interesting from start to finish. Love your newest scrappy quilt and your flags are so charming. My big stitches aren't that big either but the process does go a lot faster! Thanks for the Jack-in-the-pulpit photo. I haven't seen one in years and years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your bordered squares top, the fabrics are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great scrap quilt. It really shows off your amazing collection of fabrics. Your quilting looks great (not big) but great.
    Wonderful garden photos. Jack in the Pulpit is so neat.
    off to see Ann's post
    p.s. How nice that you still have your first machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and awesome diner! I love a good reuben with fries :)

    ReplyDelete